Info & Policy Links
Use of Library Meeting Rooms
Overdues and Other Charges
Information and Policies
Residents: If you are a West New York
resident, or own real estate in West New York, we welcome you as a
member of the library at no charge.
Non-residents: anyone who works in
West New York and does not live in the town may obtain a temporary
library card (good for three years) upon showing proof of employment in
West New York. A letter from the employer must be provided and an ID
with home address must also be shown.
Free library cards are issued upon presentation of proper
identification. Proof of residency must be shown upon application.
forms of identification must be presented, such as:
- A valid New
Jersey driverís license or identification card issued by the Division of
- A current tax receipt or a receipt from landlord.
- A mortgage or lease agreement showing an address in West New York.
current utility bill with name of applicant.
- A current bank statement
with name of applicant.
Lost library cards will be replaced upon receipt of a $2.00 fee and one
of the above forms of identification.
Children, kindergarten and up may
be issued a library card under the authority of their parent, guardian,
or teacher who must present valid identification and co-sign the childís
application. The parent/guardian is ultimately responsible for the
return of all library materials charged to the childís card, and for all
the fines and replacement costs incurred by the child.
- Non-Fiction, Regular Fiction, Audio Books, Music CDs, and
Non-Movie DVDs and Videos: 28 days
- Movie DVDs and Videos: 7 days
- Reference Materials cannot be taken out
- Patrons may call or come to the library for renewals, or renew online
- Bestsellers and materials in high demand cannot be renewed. All
other materials may be renewed a total of 7 times
Restrictions: Up to 12 books may be borrowed at one time. Only 4 items
on the same subject. Up to 2 CDs, DVDs, VHS per patron are allowed.
Overdues and Other Charges
Please return library materials on time so others may borrow them. A
book-drop is available for use when the library is closed.
Fines and Fees are assessed as follows:
- Overdue materials - $0.10 per day
- Lost materials - Fees assessed at library discretion
- Replacement parts (cases, inserts, etc.) - Fees assessed at library discretion
- Replace lost library card - $2.00
- Printing - $0.15 per page
- Copies - $0.15 per page
- Book Sale:
- Hardcover $0.20
- Paperback $0.10
- $2.00 per bag
- Notary Public: $2.00 first document. $1.00 per additional document
You may reserve books by visiting or calling the library and speaking to
a staff member at the circulation desk. The material will be held for
one week. If materials are not picked up promptly, they will be shelved
or charged out to another patron. You may also reserve books online. Go to http://wny.polarislibrary.com
Materials may be renewed providing no one else is waiting. You can visit
or call by providing your library card ID and the title you wish to
renew. Maximum renewal is 7 times.
The library generally accepts books published within a two-year period
due to space limitations and a preference for books with the most
current information only.
The West New York Public Library participates in a statewide
interlibrary loan system which enables West New York residents to have
access to various resources by using JerseyCat
(link) and JerseyClick
(link) in all the libraries affiliated within the system. Any West New
York resident with a valid library card and in good standing can request
for books and certain AV materials through interlibrary loan. Please
contact reference desk.
USE OF LIBRARY MEETING ROOMS POLICY
- The library's meeting rooms or other areas may be engaged for educational, informational, civic and cultural purposes, but not for sectarian, religious or political events.
- The meeting rooms and public areas are designed to meet general interests, such as discussion groups, panels, lectures, concerts, readings, seminars, workshops, and similar activities.
- Facilities are generally not available for public use when the library is closed to the public.
- Use of Staff Break Room and Staff bathrooms is prohibited.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited in all areas of the library.
- Applicants are responsible for any damage to library property.
- Submit an application two weeks in advance. The application must state the purpose for the use of the library, nature of the organization, background of persons, and contact information. The use of the library is subject to approval of the library board of trustees and/or the library director.
- Generally residents, groups, and organizations of the town of West New York may submit an application requesting the use of the library.
Schedule of Meetings for 2018
January 9, 2018
Febuary 6, 2018
April 10, 2018
May 1, 2018
June 5, 2018
September 4, 2018
October 2, 2018
November 13, 2018
December 4, 2018
Time: 6:00 PM
Location: West New York Public Library