Information and Policies
Residents: If you are a West New York resident, or own real estate in West New York, we welcome you as a member of the library at no charge.
Non-residents: Anyone who works in West New York and does not live in the town may obtain a temporary library card (good for three years) upon showing prof of employment in West New York. A letter from the employer must be provided and an ID with home address must also be shown.
Free library cards are issued upon presentation of proper identification. Proof of residency must be shown upon application.
Two forms of identification must be presented, such as:
- A valid New Jersey Driver’s license or identification card issued by the Division of Motor Vehicles.
- A current tax receipt or a receipt from landlord.
- A mortgage or lease agreement showing an address in West New York.
- A current utility bill with name of applicant.
- A current bank statement with name of applicant.
Lost library cards will be replaced upon receipt of a $2.00 fee and one of the above forms of identification.
Children 18 and under may be issued a library card under the authority of their parent, guardian, or teacher who must present valid identification and co-sign the child’s application. The parent/guardian is ultimately responsible for the return of all the library materials charged to the child’s card, and for all the fines and replacement costs incurred by the child.
- Non-Fiction, Regular Fiction, Audio Books, Music CDs, and Non-Movie DVDs and Videos: 28 days
- Movie DVDs and Videos: 7 days
- Reference Materials cannot be taken out
- Patrons may call or come to the library for renewals, or renew online
- Bestsellers and materials in high demand cannot be renewed. All other materials may be renewed a total of 7 times
Restrictions: Up to 10 books may be borrowed at one time. Only 4 items are allowed on the same subject. Up to 2 CDs, DVDs, per patron are allowed.
Overdues and Other Charges
Please return library materials on time so others may borrow them. A book-drop is available for use when the library is closed.
Fines and Fees are assessed as follows:
- Overdue materials – $0.10 per day
- Lost materials – Fees assessed at library discretion
- Replacement parts (cases, inserts, etc.) – Fees assessed at library discretion
- Replace lost library card – $2.00
- Printing – $0.15 per page
- Copies – $0.15 per page
- Notary Public Available (Additional Cost May Apply)
You may reserve books by visiting or calling the library and speaking to a staff member at the circulation desk. The material will be held for one week. If materials are not picked up promptly, they will be shelved or charged out to another patron. You may also reserve books online. Go to http://wny.polarislibrary.com
The library generally accepts books published within a two-year period due to space limitations and a preference for books with the most current information only. The library does not accept old books donation.
The West New York Public Library participates in a statewide interlibrary loan system which enables West New York residents to have access to various resources by using JerseyCat (link) and JerseyClick (link) in all the libraries affiliated within the system. Any West New York resident with a valid library card and in good standing can request for books and certain AV materials through interlibrary loan. Please contact reference desk.
Schedule of Meetings for 2022
September 5, 2023
October 3, 2023
November 7, 2023
December 5, 2023
Time: 6:00 PM
Location: West New York Public Library